帖子 35511
積分 5235   詳情

閱讀權限 150
註冊 2006-3-24
來自 美國滴滴尼
狀態 離線

發表於 2007-7-27 05:19 AM  資料  個人空間  短訊  加為好友 
Need your opinion or 讀後感

I think most of you have not been to this restaurant, so your inputs will be more fair.  Here is a review of the restaurant.  If you can take a few minutes and read the review, and tell me what you think about the restaurant and the reviwer, I greatly appreciate that!!  

QUOTE:
The time to see Oriental East on East West Highway in Silver Spring in all its glory is 11 a.m. on a Saturday or Sunday. When the doors open, every seat in the place -- and there are more than 160 -- fills up almost instantly. Soon after, there is a line of people stretching out the door and down the sidewalk. And it stays that way for a couple of hours.

The frenzy is over dim sum, small dishes that might be called the Chinese version of tapas but are a centuries-old custom of having little treats while drinking tea. Although dim sum items are a part of the daily menu at Oriental East -- they may be ordered from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. -- weekends and holidays are the only times that carts piled high with these treats circulate throughout the dining room, allowing diners to choose from what they see, rather than placing an order.

It is a fun, if slightly chaotic, way to try an assortment of small plates.

After the initial seating -- when you can count on a wait of about 45 minutes -- turnover in the dining room is constant, and the line for a table moves quickly. On a recent visit, we arrived at 12:30 p.m., had about 20 numbers before us and were seated in 15 minutes. About a third of the seats are at large circular tables that accommodate eight or more.

There is a preferred order to eating dim sum: Start with the steamed dishes, then go to the more exotic offerings -- chicken feet, for example -- and next sample the deep-fried items. Finally, choose among several desserts. But this involves restraint, waiting for the right cart to wend its way to your table. It's hard to turn away the many tempting dishes that arrive out of sync with this dining plan. That's why many diners simply choose what they want as the carts pass.

Don't be afraid that you will accidentally choose some unusual animal part that you don't want to eat; the servers tending the carts explain each dish. If you really want to be prepared, you can study photos of the dishes on the restaurant's Web site before you go, pick up a copy of the dim sum menu when you arrive and mark the dishes that interest you.

To keep the dishes flowing out of the kitchen, there are four main chefs among the 15 kitchen workers who prepare the weekend feasts.

My husband, to whom ethnic cuisine means French or Italian, opted to get recommendations from one of the managers, who circled her favorites from the list of about 60 items. We later realized that every dish she marked included shrimp. He tried to stick to the recommendations, saying no to dish after dish; I selected almost everything he passed up.

The first cart to arrive at our table had small baked eggplant stuffed with shrimp paste. The eggplant skin was almost crisp, the center was soft, but the whole thing tasted slightly bitter. This was the biggest disappointment of our meal.

Next came baked roast-pork buns, golden baseball-size puffs of slightly sweet dough encasing maybe a tablespoon of savory barbecue pork, accented with onions. The tastes and textures were perfectly complementary; my husband decided he didn't like sweet dough with savory meats. That meant he also didn't care for the steamed roast-pork buns that came later. In both, the dough was light, not cloying.

Keeping to my husband's recommended list, we sampled a variety of shrimp dishes. The shui mai (shrimp and pork dumplings) were bland without a sauce, but soy sauce sufficed. The rice noodle crepes with shrimp also had subtle flavors, punched up with some of the red pepper and soy sauce on the table. I loved the slippery texture of the crepe against the firmer texture of the shrimp; my husband hated the "slimy" texture of the crepe. He devoured the deep-fried shrimp dumplings, the dried scallop dumplings and the fried fun gor (pork filling in a translucent dough), although he disliked the texture of the dough.

After so many dumplings, we passed on more exotic dishes, including those chicken feet. We did choose beef chow foon, wide rice noodles with slivers of beef and onions.

Traditional egg custard tarts were our dessert. The warm custard was light and sweet, and the pastry was so flaky that it almost fell apart as we ate it.

Although the dim sum dishes are limited to Cantonese favorites, Oriental East's regular menu seems encyclopedic, with specialties from Szechwan and Hunan, which tend to be spicier than Cantonese dishes. Selections from this menu tended to be good -- sometimes very good -- standard preparations.

One of them, the not-very-traditional Chinese beef with peppers and onions (often called pepper steak) stood out. My husband, who doesn't experiment much with Chinese food but is a connoisseur of pepper steak, pronounced the Oriental East version superb, with fork-tender and flavorful beef that shone amidst the glistening onion and pepper slices.

At dinner, the dining room was only about one-third full. During weekday lunches, it is often packed; the restaurant is a favorite destination of office workers in nearby high-rises. And you'll see a lot of dim sum being ordered then, too.

頂部

woodstock (JQ)     Rank: 7Rank: 7Rank: 7
版主
性別 女
UID 19156

精華 0
帖子 8687
積分 7599   詳情

閱讀權限 150
註冊 2007-1-7
來自
狀態 離線

發表於 2007-7-27 05:55 AM  資料  個人空間  短訊  加為好友 
the article is quite detail talking about the food and the service of that chinese restaurant.
Maybe I am chinese, therefore that restaurant is not very attractive to me. And at the end of the article, it seems showing that there is no good for dinner there, only valuable at lunch hour and all the customers are the office workers in nearby high-rises......

頂部

ah_cho     Rank: 5Rank: 5Rank: 5
風中藍 (天藍看更)
性別 女
UID 5699

精華 1
帖子 19196
積分 6063   詳情

閱讀權限 60
註冊 2006-8-11
來自 住0係楓葉國既日本漢奸 ... ... ...
狀態 離線

發表於 2007-7-27 06:03 AM  資料  個人空間  主頁 短訊  加為好友 
The first impression it gives me is this is not a review from the newspaper.  It sounds like a story of dinning experience (maybe a blog) more than a newspaper article.  The "reviewer" doesn't really review any dishes.  There is no description on any items she tried at least not in a professional restaurant reviewer tone (makes me think of our Mr. Choi).  
I can tell a little background of the reviewer:
- typical western (mostly white) lady
- first time to try Chinese dim sum
- she did a bit of research on the topic (ie the sequence of eating dim sum)
I didn’t think about there is a sequence of order/eating dim sum.  For most Hong Kong people like me, for the very first round we just order whatever we like in the dim sum cart rolls in front of us.  Then follows with some fried rice, noodle ordered from the regular menu (my dad said it is a cheaper way to fill kids up, but it never happened to our family coz my sister and I eat very little).  Sometimes we order deserts (mango pudding) or jelly, but not always.
Now, back to the restaurant, I can’t tell if it is a good restaurant or not since the reviewer doesn’t mention “what type” of people was waiting in the line.  You will never find a good Chinese restaurant if you just blindly follow the opinion from western people.  No idea on how the place looks likes (mainland china style or Hong Kong nicely decorated?).  I assume it is a Hong Kong style dim sum place as there is no “lunch buffet”  disgusting!  If I have a chance to visit Silver Spring, I don’t mind to give it a try.

頂部

mickeyGoUp     Rank: 7Rank: 7Rank: 7
版主
性別 男
UID 5

精華 0
帖子 35511
積分 5235   詳情

閱讀權限 150
註冊 2006-3-24
來自 美國滴滴尼
狀態 離線

發表於 2007-7-27 06:23 AM  資料  個人空間  短訊  加為好友 
Thank you for your inputs!    Before I say anything, wanna read more replies first.  Nothing special, just a little survey.

By the way, who is Mr. Choi?  Choi Lan?  

頂部

ah_cho     Rank: 5Rank: 5Rank: 5
風中藍 (天藍看更)
性別 女
UID 5699

精華 1
帖子 19196
積分 6063   詳情

閱讀權限 60
註冊 2006-8-11
來自 住0係楓葉國既日本漢奸 ... ... ...
狀態 離線

發表於 2007-7-27 06:27 AM  資料  個人空間  主頁 短訊  加為好友 

QUOTE:
原帖由 mickeyGoUp 於 2007-7-26 04:23 PM 發表
Thank you for your inputs!    Before I say anything, wanna read more replies first.  Nothing special, just a little survey.

By the way, who is Mr. Choi?  Choi Lan?  

Yeah! 最愛既食家
膽固醇萬歲!

頂部

快速美言

當前時區 GMT+8, 現在時間是 2024-5-16 02:58 AM