2008-9-5 01:45 AM 收買佬
PMP Archos 605

Hi i m new to this forum, i wonder does anyone here use the archos 605 pmp player?
I think its a great player, perhaps one of the most featured PMP out there what do you think guys. :pn03:

2008-9-5 12:19 PM Coolio
... that is one pricey gadget gear $400....

2008-9-6 08:46 PM 收買佬
yes its a very pricy gadget, but with all the functionality i think its one of the best PMP out there that has web surfing abilities too. With all the functions and codec support, it can almost play anything i throw at it. And with the dvr i can even record tv shows, but sadly i dont have the DVR dock yet so i havent tested it.

Actually the new Archos 5 is out too, looks even more nicer then the 605 wifi and with a faster processor. But with that being said its almost like a 605 wifi but it is trying to focus more on the web surfing abilities, where as the 605 is pirmarliy a PMP this new archos 5 calls itself the Mobile Internet Device (MID).

Personal opinion, if you look for a pmp player then 605 is great but if you want better internet functions and faster surfing the Archos 5 is very good with a bigger and nicer screen. But it is very pricy as its new. I dont think i will be getting the new Archos 5 but i m looking to for a UMPC :pn03:

2008-9-17 07:41 PM myword
It's a great gadget. And Cowon's A3 is probably just as good (which I own). I think Cowon and Archos basically rule the PMP world for now. However, there is a problem.. none of them support RM or RMVB format, the format most used by Asian countries for movies/dramas. Conversion takes a lot of time. Really, it's huge hassle.

I'm seriously looking into china-made Aigo pmps that support rm/rmvb. You can take a look at their website (aigo.com). I'm also looking into getting those ultra-mini notebooks. They can play all formats, and has bigger screen. :)

2008-9-17 08:13 PM 收買佬
yes i also own the A3 and 605 both have there goods and bad but actually 605 does play RMVB, you just need to have the RMVB plug in which i have where as cowon there is no way in doing so. also i dont like the cowon user interface its pretty hard to use and not so user friendly

2008-9-17 10:31 PM mickeyGoUp
Please bear with me for the late response.  The archos 605 actually plays RMVB after installing the plugin?  I don't travel that much so when I travel I just bring my notebook with me loaded with RMVB and AVI.

So how well does the battery work for 605?  :)

2008-9-17 11:06 PM 收買佬
Yes with the RMVB plug-in it will play rmvb absolutly fine. Regarding to the battery front, it is a bit disappointing i must say. I get about 4.5h max watching videos, listening to music around 17hrs which isnt bad at all. And surfing the net around 2hrs wifi, i mean wifi does eat up battery so battery life isnt great but it will do. I bought an extra battery dock which sticks to the bottom of the player and it gives me 2hr extra play back which is nice and it allows me to charge the player alot faster then using the supplied usb cable. all in all its a very good PMP player, i would recommend this over aigo or any other chinese brands out there cos they will not last as long i guess.

2008-9-18 10:04 AM myword
Archos has a rm/rmvb plug-in? Where can we get it? I hesitated in buying Archos because its website didn't (and still doesn't) show anything related to rm/rmvb plug-in.  Any help?

2008-9-18 05:46 PM 收買佬
[quote]原帖由 [i]myword[/i] 於 2008-9-18 10:04 AM 發表 [url=http://www.lipscorner.net/redirect.php?goto=findpost&pid=188698&ptid=29966][img]http://www.lipscorner.net/images/common/back.gif[/img][/url]
Archos has a rm/rmvb plug-in? Where can we get it? I hesitated in buying Archos because its website didn't (and still doesn't) show anything related to rm/rmvb plug-in.  Any help? [/quote]

Yes on the website it does not mention anything about the rmvb plugin. The way to get it is, either you buy the player from hk or china.

If you buy the player from hk such as broadway, after you purchased the player you can send an emailto the dealer such as jebson with prove of where you bought it and the serial number and product key and they should be able to send you the plugin free of charge. Also sometimes it is included when youbuy the player you just need to ask and make sure.

The second way is to buy it online from china sites such as taobo etc and they can sell you the plugin for a small fee.

All in all it is possible to get this plugin, you just need to find a way and yes the archos player does play rmvb files fine with the plugin.

Hope that help

2008-9-18 07:51 PM myword
Thanks for the info. :) I think Archos didn't want to publicly release the plug-in because they didn't buy a world-wide license from Realmedia company. Sigh. I think Real charges too much. :D

2008-9-18 10:35 PM 收買佬
You could be right here, and you are very correct in saying so for europe. RMVB was never released in europe because of what you said but the plugin is for sure avabilable in hk and china. rmvb has a much bigger market in asia tho. And i think every pmp player in the asia market has rmvb support apart from cowon A3 which is what makes the archos 605 stands out cos it does have the plugin in asia

2008-9-19 07:29 PM myword
Now I'm looking at my Cowon with regret, because I only bought it a couple of months ago. I have to convert nearly all of the files because they come in RMVB. :(

2008-9-19 08:33 PM 收買佬
apart from the RMVB issue the cowon is still an awsome player. i have an A3 Cowon but now my gf uses it cos it has a built in mic and and she can use it to record lectures plus it has FM radio. Apart from no wifi and cant play RMVB the cowon is still a very good player. At least it can record tv straight out of the box where as if i want to record tv with my archos 605 i would need to pay extra $$ to buy an DVR dock. All in all both very good players both have its pros and cons, nither is perfect.

2008-9-19 09:06 PM mickeyGoUp
Thanks guys for the info!  If I ever need to buy a PMP, now I know what to get based on my needs.

mywords, you mentioned about those mini notebook, did you mean "netbook" such as Asus EEE or Dell Inspiron Mini?  I have got a EEE and you are right it is great for traveling!  Light enough (2 lbs) to carry it around. And it runs on Linux, with built-in wireless network adaptor, mic/speakers...etc., can surf the web or skype with friends easily.  But the keyboard is small so it is not convenient for people with big hands.  Afterall, it is not a good device for serious works, but great for temporary use.  Battery life is not that great though.

2008-9-20 08:48 AM myword
I'm currently considering HP (2133 Mini-Note).. there's a review here, brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13952 but users review for this at amazon is not that fantastic. :)

2008-9-20 08:38 PM 收買佬
i dont really see the point of these netbook to be honest. thats just my own opinion tho, i mean if i were to use a netbook i would just carry my mac book pro. if i didnt want to carry my mbp with me i just bring my asus p353, nokia e71 or my archos 605. All can surf the net msn and watch videos, all 3 all them put together still easier then carrying a netbook. Plus the netbook battery and memory is poor..... thats the main concern :pn34:

2008-9-22 07:42 AM myword
I always wonder why there are so few pmp makers in the market. Is it because it is not profitable? Creative Tech has stopped producing its 4" Zen-W line, and Korea's Maxian has focused its marketing within Korea.

I don't see brands like Sony, Philips or other electronic goods companies producing PMPs. As I see it, PMPs are incredibly useful. They are portable, can record and output to TV.

Right now, we're left with very limited choices. I suspect it's because of competition from smaller and smaller notebooks, and the price for these mini notebooks are dropping fast. I just saw a mini notebook that is only $10 more than my Cowon A3.

2008-9-22 09:20 PM mickeyGoUp
myword, interesting review.  How much is the HP 2133?  

收買佬, I can't help but to agree with you.  Even I own a Eee, I wouldn't really recommend it unless one has extra money or want to get a toy just for fun. And I would get one that is $350 or under.  I bring it to work everyday so I can use it for personal stuff such as surfing the web, IM...etc., and I have to carry my work laptop also, so the Eee does not add too much more weight, which is good.  But other than that, I don't use it much.  :P

As for the PMP choices, I think you are right.  People ask for more and more and they want to get an all-in-one device.  And it also depends on the country.  In countries where people take public transportation all the time, they get more opportunity to watch video on the road.  But then, most of them rather use their phone to kill time or ipod to kill time.  For travelers, they wouldn't mind carry a mini notebook or netbook only a little more heavier (and bigger) but can do so much more.

2008-9-23 12:41 AM 收買佬
Myword i m afraid i have to disagree with you there, the PMP market is actually very big, but you are right in saying depending on where you are. There are so many options to choose from in asia, but alot of these are unknown brands and would you spend your hard earned cash on a gadget that will only work for 1year and this is why i would choose brands such as Archos and Cowon. Infact in america you have creative, zune, archos, cowon and the iriver too. So there are choices but just not as much in the asia market.
Secondly i would like to agree with you mickey on your point regarding has Netbook effected the PMP market. To some degree yes but you can say no also. You can't really compare them together as you can't compare apple to oranges. Netbook are designed for work and its great for ms office things or even to some degree media. But a PMP is solely designed to play media and the secondary function of surfing the web.
The market is still pretty strong and PMP companies are bringing out products every year which, i find this a bit depressing cos companies never give enough time for there old product to mature before bringing out a new device and leaving the old models behind.

2008-9-23 01:39 AM mickeyGoUp
By the way, how does the web surfing function work on a PMP?  Is it like iphone with a little web browser?  That's pretty neat.

頁: [1] 2
查看完整版本: PMP Archos 605