2007-11-25 03:20 AM tiktwo
watching tv

Hi,
I bought a new computer with tv tuner recently, but am not sure how to use it for tv watching.
Does the tv tuner alone do all? or do i have to add a cable outlet right next to my computer?

Any help will be appreciated, thx

2007-11-25 07:18 AM mickeyGoUp
A tv tuner normally takes a video input (the cable goes from the wall outlet to your tv), if you don't have that cable hooked up to the tv tuner card, that means there is no video source, and therefore it won't be able to display any video.

Which country are you in now?  :)

2007-11-29 03:08 AM tiktwo
Thank you for your reply.

I'm in Toronto,Canada.
i will be able to watch tv if I connect the wall outlet to the tv tuner?
oh and how do i add a wall outlet? Do i have to request one from my cable tv provider?

2007-11-29 03:45 AM mickeyGoUp
I assume you are in a room that has no cable outlet, right?

If you don't want to go through the trouble, then you can ask the cable provider to install one for you.  Here they charge US$10 per extra outlet when they first install the cable for us.  If you ask them to come out and do that now, they will probably charge you for the visit too!

If your room is not too far from a room that has outlet, then you can always wire it yourself.  First, you want to get a splitter (can be found at Radio Shack).  Then, let's say Room A has an outlet, and your computer is in Room B.  You will need two extra cable, a short one and a long one (long enough to run from Room A to Room B).

- Connect the short cable from the Room A outlet to the splitter.
- Connect the long cable from the splitter to the tv tuner card in room B

If you want to hide the cable, then there are extra works.  I would run it along the wall and door frames.  And sometimes drilling holes might shorten the distance.

Hope that helps.  :)

2007-12-3 12:12 PM tiktwo
Thank you very much for the info you provided!! I sent an email to Rogers and they informed me that the charge for installation is $9 CAD  and monthly charge for that extra outlet at $7. not too expensive eh..

2007-12-3 10:10 PM mickeyGoUp
回復 #5 tiktwo 的帖子

wow that's great!  It is not bad at all!  I am surprised that they don't charge you for the visit!  Cuz I think here if I ask them to come out and do anything, they charge some fee per visit, plus the cost of parts.

2007-12-4 12:12 PM spoon_sir
If you ask other people than Rogers to install the cable, and Rogers didn't know it. they won't charge you $7 per month.

[url]http://shoprogersfaq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/shoprogersfaq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=6R2NkkSi&p_lva=&p_faqid=191&p_created=990051889&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEzMiZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTYmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQ-JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=[/url]

more detail from Rogers.

2007-12-10 03:06 AM tiktwo
[quote]原帖由 [i]spoon_sir[/i] 於 2007-12-4 12:12 PM 發表 [url=http://www.lipscorner.net/redirect.php?goto=findpost&pid=143133&ptid=23204][img]http://www.lipscorner.net/images/common/back.gif[/img][/url]
If you ask other people than Rogers to install the cable, and Rogers didn't know it. they won't charge you $7 per month.

[url]http://shoprogersfaq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/shoprogersfaq.cfg/php/enduser/std_ad[/url] ... [/quote]

haha thank you for your suggestion =)

I have another question tho.
What if I go buy a USB Tv? Thats around $50 CAD, and I don't need to have Rogers or whoever to come over and add extra outlet.
I'm not too sure how a USB Tv works, do i just plug it to a USB hub and watch tv with my comp? Can anyone tell me some info on this please?

2007-12-10 12:05 PM spoon_sir
USB TV still a TV tuner, this is just a different type of tuner, no need to open your case and put the tv card inside your computer. this usb tv is good for laptop.  no matter what type of tv tuner you use, you still need a cable plug it in the tv tuner. When you use the tv tuner, make sure you did install a program that come with tv tuner, that program allow you to watch tv.  If you don't have it, you still can find a 3rd party program that can supply your tuner.  If you want to make the outlet yourself, you can try to go to Home Depot, ask those workers, sometime when they have time, they may tell you how to make it.

2007-12-10 01:35 PM mickeyGoUp
Hey guys, I just read your updated posts and I realized that I misunderstood tiktwo's message!  I thought it was $7 one-time fee per outlet, but it was actually a $7 monthly fee!  Oops!  That's a rip off!!!  In that case, yeah, I would just wire it myself!  

To give u an rough idea how it can be done, here are two pictures:

The splitter
[attach]28739[/attach]

The cable running from the splitter to the room I need the outlet.  Actually I connect the cable directly to the other TV, instead of running it behind the wall and into a real in-wall outlet.  
[attach]28740[/attach]

When you go to Home Depot, just ask for those clips, and just nail them to the molding under the wall.

2007-12-18 01:36 PM tiktwo
Thank you Spoon_Sir and MickeyGoUp ! Exams over for me, and I'll try to wire everything myself =D

thx for your pics mickeyGoUp!!

2007-12-18 07:47 PM mickeyGoUp
Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!  :)

頁: [1]
查看完整版本: watching tv